Tuesday 7 June 2016

From Whiskey to Water: Media personality tells a story


Battling against the bottle is a vigorous phase that many people go through *bulge *.

Well known South African radio and TV presenter Sam Cowen is the latest media personality to come out in the open about her battle with alcohol addiction, this as she gets ready to release a revealing memoir called ‘From Whiskey to Water’.

Cowen is a renowned media personality having co-presented 94.7 Highveld Stereo’s ‘The Rude Awakening’ breakfast show. The free speaking lady also hosted e.tv parents show, ‘Great Expectations’, for five years, and is the author of four books, including ‘Waiting for Christopher’ and ‘Good Enough Mother’.

Cowen currently co-hosts the Weekend Breakfast show on Radio 702 with Africa Melane.

The dynamic Cowen is now set to release her most honest book to date; a no-hold-barred memoir in which she vividly opens up about overcoming her addiction to alcohol.

She took to Facebook last Friday to share the news of her new release making an honest declaration:

“I’ve been asked so many times how I lost weight that I’ve lost count. What most people don’t ask is how I got fat in the first place. I got fat because I stopped drinking and started eating and it took over a decade to get myself to where I am now. Earlier this year I wrote a book, From Whiskey to Water.

“I’m an alcoholic and I’ve been sober for 14 and a half years. I’ve never spoken about it publicly, but since the 9yo started cheerfully telling her friends (the kids have known for a long time, despite my drinking days having ended long before they were born) I thought it might be time. It’s about drinking and eating and swimming. And it’s about how the light at the end of the tunnel is not always a bloody great train. And it’s about how swimming in the ocean beats drowning in whiskey or ice cream. And mostly it’s about trying to swop being perfect for being human, a daily challenge.”

The back-cover of ‘From Whiskey to Water’, which is expected to hit the shelves in July reads: “On the surface, radio talk-show host Sam Cowen showed her humorous side to the public, but beneath her controlled and upbeat facade her world was crumbling.

“In her breathtakingly no-holds-barred memoir ‘From Whiskey to Water’, Sam unpacks her desperate struggle with alcoholism, swapping whiskey for food until she finds her redemption in long-distance swimming. Courageous, tragic, side-splittingly funny, this is a book that will inspire and change lives.”

Well, well, well! Need I say so. We are all looking forward to this promising read Cowen. Who knows, we might all go from Whiskey to Water.