Tuesday 15 November 2016

David Beckham won't venture into management

Former Manchester United, Real Madrid, AC Milan, PSG and LA Galaxy star David Beckham was in Johannesburg on Monday to speak at the 2016 Discovery Leadership Summit in Sandton.

Beckham, celebrated globally as one of the most marketable footballers ever, told Mzansi's next generation of young footballers and future leaders that he will not venture into management.

"I've worked with great people and great brands and that's led me to wanting different things. It's great to go on the TV and talk about the game we all love and that I've loved for so many years. But I felt that there were other things that I actually wanted to do and to achieve," said Beckham.

"Over the years I've been part of many different companies and many different sponsors. Five years ago I sat down with my management team and told them that I wanted to build a brand and to build companies. I have to go into things that I'm passionate about. I was passionate about playing the game but I'm not passionate about being a manager.

"Management is not something I feel I will be great at."