Wednesday 18 May 2016

Orlando Pirates coach looks ahead at 2016/17 season

Orlando Pirates coach Eric Tinkler has revealed he will continue to plan for the 2016/17 season, ahead of the Nedbank Cup final at the end of May.

The current season will be the first full campaign Tinkler has been in charge of the team since taking over from Vladimir Vermezovic in December 2014.

Tinkler has a one-year contract that includes a one-year extension option with the Buccaneers. The tactician will certainly bolster his chances of staying on at Pirates with a win in the Nedbank Cup final against SuperSport United at the Peter Mokaba Stadium on 28 May.

“I have one-year contract with a one-year extension. I’m a professional coach and I will continue doing my work and we are preparing for next season, nothing changes,” Tinkler told KickOff.

“First and foremost I will be happy if I end the season with the trophy. I think that’s important. But looking back at the season I am disappointed in our league form.

“I was also disappointed in losing the CAF Confederation Cup final because that would have been highly prestigious competition to win for any coach.

“And now it is about planning for next season and it is important to try and rectify the areas that we made mistakes, and look to build on what we’ve achieved this season.”