Wednesday 7 September 2022

Londa Mbatha's persistence pays off as she wins #Ukhozi FM presenter search

Londa Mbatha, who has been announced as the winner of Ukhozi FM's Winnie Mahlangu Female Presenter Search competition, says her dream has finally come true.

Mbatha, 27, who was born and raised in Ekuvukeni in Ladysmith, KwaZulu-Natal, has been trying to get a job at the station for three years now and had sent countless demos without success.


Mbatha said she fell in love with radio broadcasting while doing her BA degree in psychology and communications at Varsity College.

Speaking to Sowetan yesterday, Mbatha said her prayers were finally answered after submitting her demo towards the end of July and not getting response immediately.

"I am happy I have won. I still cannot believe [it]. I have always wanted to work for Ukhozi and prayed hard for it.

"I have been sending demos without being considered. Even this year, I thought my demo would not be considered. But I was not going to stop. I was going to continue until they stopped the competition."

When Mbatha realised that she was not getting a positive response from the station, she decided to look for a job at Durban Youth Radio (DYR). She got the job and was given a 9am-12 noon slot. She was on her third at DYR when she got a call from Ukhozi FM.