Thursday 11 January 2024

John Kani mistakes Stella Dlangalala for Tichina Arnold in new Spar Ad

Spar's new ad campaign has caught the attention of viewers, featuring actors Khaya Mthembu and Stella Dlangalala. 

The commercial, a light-hearted skit 
about grocery shopping in the middle of the month, has garnered positive feedback. 

However, one legendary theatre actor, Dr John Kani, mistakenly believed that Dlangalala was American actress Tichina Arnold, known for her role as Rochelle in 'Everybody Hates Chris'.

Expressing his disappointment on X, Kani tweeted, "Surely they could have found a South African actor to do this advert. I am not angry, I am actually sad." 

However, Dlangalala responded to clarify that she is indeed the actress in the ad, stating, "It's me. 😭 My name is Stella Dlangalala, and I am African. I owe my being to the hills and the valleys..."

Upon learning that a local actress had been cast, Kani expressed his relief and happiness. He wished Dlangalala all the best in her career, pleased to support and promote local talent.