Monday 9 January 2023

34-year-old Limpopo woman wins radio presenter search #SouthAfricaBlog

Years after she told her father that she would be a radio host one day when she first visited Jacaranda FM station with him 18 years ago, 34-year-old Manani Botes from Tzaneen in Limpopo is finally living her dream.

Botes was crowned as the station's presenter search winner in October last year.


The competition rolled over two weeks before the winner was announced. After two weeks, the entries were narrowed down to the top 12 before Botes was announced the winner.

The entire process took about six weeks. 

The newly enthroned radio presenter defines the saying, "dreams do come true if you keep believing in them".

Botes said that being in the station's team was overwhelming, yet she can tell a lot of people that they should never give up on what they believe and that their goals are worth chasing.

"I've loved radio from a very young age. I remember when my dad took me to Jacaranda FM when I was 16 years old, and I told them I wanted to be a presenter, but I was too young at the time.

"Years later, here I am, granted an opportunity to be part of the biggest radio station in the country. I wish my dad were here to witness this moment," she said.

However, Botes is no stranger to the radio industry.

She was part of a local radio station Jou FM. The station is 80% Afrikaans and 20% English. There, she hosted
her own Sunday slot, The Sunday Rush.

Botes said coming on top of the competition somewhat validated her belief that she can become and be whatever she wants when she puts her mind to it, though she was overwhelmed with excitement when she was crowned the winner.

"It took me aback to say, wow, you gave it your all and look where you are today from being announced to the top 12. It was my pinch-me moment. And going through the whole interview process, I remember walking into that room and seeing Martin Bester and everyone. These were the people I listened to when I was growing up.

"At that moment, I relived my childhood memory.

"I remember telling them I do not mean to be forward, but it would be a
great honour to work with you guys. I'm delighted that I will grow as a woman, grow as a person and grow, get to know people, and meet many different people.

"This is an opportunity that any woman, any person, could look forward to, and I'm happy to be part of this platform," she said excitedly.

The 2022 Mrs South Africa semifinalist and now independent automotive consultant, Botes recently resigned from her formal employment as an automotive manager for one of the biggest car brands to focus on her broadcasting career.