Saturday 4 June 2022

Could Coco Gauff's new perspective on life win her the #FrenchOpen

Coco Gauff believes her new perspective in life will help her in two Grand Slam finals this weekend.

The American will face favourite Iga Swiatek in the French Open women's singles final today, while Gauff and Jessica Pegula yesterday also won through to tomorrow's final of the women's doubles.


The 18-year-old, who spoke out about gun violence after her singles semi-final win, said: "I feel like I put myself in a bubble to the point where it was like tennis, tennis, tennis.

"I never even used to go into the centre of Paris. Ever since I was eight, it was, 'The next Serena, next this, next that' and I think I really fell into the trap of believing that.

"My grandmother's always like, 'There's more to life than this. You just need to relax when you're out there'.

"I took a step back. There are so many things going on in the world right now."
Polish sensation Swiatek, who turned 21 this week, said: "It's been going well.

"I'm aware sometimes my opponents are stressed so I'm trying to kind of realise that and not panic about my own stress."