Wednesday 10 February 2021

Nambitha Ben-Mazwi talks about her role in new SABC 3 telenovela #TheEstate

Nambitha Ben-Mazwi's latest character is a juicy role she can't wait for fans to watch.

"Gigi, otherwise known as Georgina … people will find out, without giving away too much, that she is bringing a lot of disruption to the show. She is a plot twist, I will definitely be getting those hate mails and dirty looks in public," jokes the actress who is one of the star studded cast of upcoming SABC 3 telenovela The Estate.

Ben-Mazwi says she always gives a human element to the characters she portrays in television shows – from a villain to a weaker character, she makes sure people understand and appreciate who the character is.

"Gigi is going to be bringing a lot of force, sexiness and those 'Oh no she didn't' comments. It's such a fun role to play and discover. For me to peel off her layers and what she is bringing to the plot, I have dug deep to find who she truly is and what her insecurities are."

Ben-Mazwi says she has adjusted well to the "new normal", having already managed to shoot scenes under stricter regulations.

"I don't like to play the same character twice. I always like a good contrast from the previous role. I played a defence lawyer on Diamond City and there were people who didn't even recognise that it was me in the role because of the transformation. With this Gigi role, it's a true transformation. I didn't even recognise myself," says the 32-year-old.