Wednesday 23 March 2016

Newly crowned Miss South Africa's parents proud

The newly crowned Miss South Africa, Ntandoyenkosi Kunene, is thrilled to have made her parents proud with her win.

Speaking to the Daily Sun, she said: “I owe everything to them and my family.”

Kunene’s dream came true on Saturday, when she was crowned Miss SA at the event held in Carnival City in Brakpan, Ekurhuleni.

The 23-year-old said she was shell-shocked when she was announced as the winner.

“I am not sure the fact that I am now Miss South Africa has sunk in yet,” she said.

“As a little girl growing up in the township, I used to model around the house and even practise my winning speech in front of the mirror.

“And here I am today.”

Kunene is studying towards an honours degree in education at Wits University. Her mother, Baby, owned a modelling school, which she attended. Her modelling career took off after she won her first beauty pageant when she was four.

She gained the title of Miss Ruindruppel.

“I’m very proud of my daughter. Tears of joy were rolling down my cheeks after she won,” her father, Christopher, said on Saturday. Her parents could not hold back their tears of joy.