Tuesday 1 August 2023

Rising Afrojazz star Qaqamba Ntshinka inspires listeners to chase their dreams

Qaqamba Ntshinka, an aspiring Afrojazz singer originally from the Eastern Cape, has been making waves in the music industry, captivating audiences with her soulful voice and special musical style.


Recently nominated for the prestigious Basadi In Music Awards in the Nando's Emerging Artist of the Year category, Ntshinka is quickly becoming a recognised talent.

Hailing from the town of eNgcobo in the Eastern Cape, Qaqamba's journey in music began at a young age when she discovered her passion for singing and performing.

Influenced by the rich cultural heritage of her community, she developed a deep appreciation for Afrojazz, infusing traditional African rhythms with modern melodies to create her distinctive sound.

"I started singing at church because I'm a pastor's kid, but later discovered my love for Afrojazz. I fell in love with this genre and decided to pursue it in 2017.''

Over the past two years, Ntshinka performed at various platforms and venues in Cape Town, such as Selective Live, Yobo Love, Villa Viva, Trenchtown, Cape Town Stadium, Africa Grand Café V&A Waterfront and Bridges for Music Academy.

"I draw inspiration from social ills. Whatever is happening around me and my community, from gender-based violence to mental health and crime. I grew up listening to legends like Mom Miriam Makeba,Tata Hugh Masekela, Sis Simphiwe Dana and Mom Busi Mhlongo," says Ntshinka.

"Their music played a huge role in my craft. From their writing style to their vocals. Not only did I relate to them melody-wise, but their lyrical content also made sense to me.

"Their music changed the status quo. They made music that spoke and speaks to the heart. Their music is relatable. And this made me want to write music that inspires the people around me."

Not only does she possess a soul
stirring voice but she showcases her remarkable songwriting talents with two stand-out tracks, Zizinja and Ingase Uyazi.

She says Zizinja serves as a melodious siren, calling out to individuals to pursue their aspirations fearlessly.

Rooted in African rhythms, this uplifting anthem delivers a powerful message – your dreams are valid, and it's high time to go after them. 

The song urges listeners to embrace their passions and overcome obstacles that may stand in their way.