Tuesday 30 August 2022

Designer-sold belts, sunglasses at taxi ranks, now his suits cost no less than R10 000

Receiving a suit as a gift to wear on Christmas Day from his father back in 1989 is what triggered a passion for fashion in designer Calvin Shilabje.

Upholding his childhood dream, Shilabje's was set on shaking up the industry with his own designs of bespoke suits.


Now, having dressed the likes of Teko Modise, Dr Tumi, Theo Baloyi and Black Coffee, the fashion designer and tailor from Pretoria has become a go-to haven for many men who need to look the part.

Shilabje's company, Style Gallery 85, has a studio for consultations, fittings and showcasing the tailor's work.

Speaking to Business Report about his fashion journey, Shilabje said: "Immediately after completing high school I started working, because there were no funds for me to further my studies. I used to sell in taxi ranks; belts, wallets, sunglasses, shades etc. 

I worked for FMCG (fast-moving consumer goods) at Pick n Pay as a cleaner, and after that I moved to Tiger Brands for six years. I then decided to resign and go back to school to study Business Retail Management at the Tshwane University of Technology."

On what sparked his interest in fashion at an early age, the 37-yearold said: "My dad bought me my first suit in 1989, a double-breasted suit for Christmas. 

As a person who grew up in those days when on Sundays there was no excuse but to suit up for church or weddings, or any weekend event for that matter, that exposed me to a lot of diverse fashion and made me fall in love with fashion.