Friday 10 December 2021

It hasn't sunk in yet for R63 million #Lotto winner! #FridayFeeling

An Ekurhuleni man, 38, has finally struck it rich after winning the R63m Lotto jackpot.

The man, who works for a gas company, bought his ticket last Saturday afternoon‚ spending R100 using the quick-pick method.

"Since playing from 2013‚ I would normally use a combination of my own lucky numbers‚ whether it's family birth dates or my children's ages‚" said the winner.

Ironically, he won using random numbers selected by the betting machine.

His wife said: "Today is our day. It has finally come and we are unable to express our emotions because the news of winning is so surreal."

The couple lives in Alberton. Describing his emotions the moment he suspected he may have won‚ he said he was overwhelmed with shock and excitement. 

"On Sunday morning I was at home and my wife was at work. When the results came up I just couldn't believe it. I phoned my wife. She didn't believe that I had won – she did not buy into my story."

His wife said he has been playing for years and would always claim to have won when he hadn't.

"So it was hard to believe him again‚" she said.

The couple has since shared the news with some close family and friends. The winner is still to decide whether he will continue with his day job.

"I have also been given some financial advice and shown an extensive portfolio of investment opportunities which I will consider.

"In addition‚ I opted for trauma counselling and the counsellor could see that we are still in awe that we have won."

Ithuba's CEO Charmaine Mabuza said they were on the hunt for the R14m Lotto Plus 2 winner from the Wednesday draw. The ticket was bought in Bridgton‚ Oudtshoorn.