Monday 20 April 2020

Meet the 'balcony' musician who honours front line heroes battling #coronavirus

Every afternoon since 30 March, the sounds of a saxophone can be heard throughout the coastal town of Betty's Bay.

Deborah Best plays her saxophone from her balcony to honour those people who go the extra mile to assist others during the coronavirus pandemic.

Best moved to South Africa from a small town in the UK called Oswaldtwistle in 1986, and has lived in Betty's Bay for four years.

"I moved to South Africa and got married and have three wonderful children – Robyn, Christopher and Samantha. I have been playing the sax for 35 years now. I studied the clarinet and saxophone at the Royal College of Music in London."

She posted a video of the first piece she played on her balcony on 30 March, "In the Mood", on her Facebook page. Her partner Bryan filmed her performance, and since it went live on Facebook it has been shared more than 14 000 times with positive feedback from all over the world.

"I decided to play on my balcony because I believe I have a purpose on this planet," Best said. "After teaching and playing for corporates and weddings for 35 years, I decided it was my time to give back. There are thousands of people working in hospitals, pharmacies and police stations.

"This is my way of saying thank you.

There are also a lot of fearful, confused and lonely people in the world now and this just seemed like a good idea. My neighbours and friends say it is the highlight of their day."

She says she will play a piece every evening at 19:00, and she wants to thank her partner Bryan and daughter Robyn for helping to upload the videos to Facebook.

"Music is my absolute passion and these performances from my balcony have moved and inspired so many. I am privileged to be able to share this with others. A big concert is definitely on the cards once the lockdown is over."

*****

Ever wondered what goes through the minds of our brave heroes who are at the forefront of the coronavirus fight?

Get the May edition of Inspire Mzansi digital magazine on PressReader as some of them narrate their stories. A definite must read